About Me

My Photo Name: a+c
Location: Mililani and Vallejo, Hawaii and California, United States


we have been together since 05/05/05 and we have loved every second of it. we were engaged on 09/10/10. we will be getting married on 04/23/11.

View my complete profile


  • First Day
  • These are my classes...
  • ahhh... Orientation day 2
  • First day of medical school...
  • California.
  • The stress and incidents of life.
  • A Coral Update
  • I am getting pampered
  • Houston... good ole' hot, humid, Houston
  • The gift of change...

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 07, 2006
First Day cont.

First day.

It started off with a easy morning. Woke up at 6:45am. Got dressed and ready. Ate some cereal in honor of FM (aka Aaron's mom, aka Future Mom). I ate one of her favorites, the Cheerios Strawberry Yogurt one. We left the house at 7:30 and I had my laptop, several notebooks, a binder, my calendar, and my pencil bag/case in my timbuk2 backpack, ready to get to school. I made my lunch and had a cup filled with a can of Vault (I used the cute little lunch bag that Aunty Charline gave me from Hawaii).

Arrived to class about 7 minutes early. Got seated. Got out my laptop and was ready for Anatomy. The prof passed out our powerpoints for this semester on CD and we all downloaded and got them ready. Exciting times. About 1/2 hour into the lecture I really had to pee and that's all I could think about. I waited and waited and he gave us a break at 9am. We still had one more hour to go. Exciting stuff, Anatomy.

Immediately after Anatomy, in which we learned about anatomical positions and different planes and terminology in how to describe the body to our colleagues, we had Public Health. This is where our prof spoke for 2 hours straight (with a brief break in the middle) about her life and what she does and how she loves Public Health. She also gave us permission to skip class if we have experience in Public Health (what kind of teacher does that?) Who knows.

We then had lunch. During lunchtime I went to a Anatomy Lab Ceremony in which we took a moment to think about the people who had given their lives for the purpose of educating future doctors. The rabbi was there along with about 20 OMS II (Osteopathic Medical Sciences Year II) students and 30 or so OMS I students. We had flowers and passed them out and spent a little moment with each cadaver.

After lunch. We had Physical Diagnosis (PD) in which we discussed the structure of taking a History and Physical (H & P) from a patient. This went by pretty quickly but it was also common sense to most of us. The prof seems like he will be very entertaining and interesting throughout the course of this semeseter.

Next up was our Biochemistry class. We will be having Biochem almost every day until August 22nd in which the class will be replaced by Basic Science Foundations I (BSF I). Ahh... I was pulling my hair out by this time. It was pretty easy and a little boring for the simple fact that I majored in Biochem in undergrad. I probably will still need to review but it shouldn't be as hard for me as some who have absolutely no experience with the "wonderful joys" that is known as Biochem (... yeah right...)

We're almost done. The last class of the day was 2 hours long and really could have and should have only been 1 hour. The difference between Osteopathic Medical School and Allopathic Medical School (people in allopathic schools become M.D.s) is that we take a course called OMM. OMM stands for Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine. This is a science of making small manipulations to improve the overall health of a person. The prof gave us an idea of certain things we will be learning and what we will be doing in lab. Very useful information but it could have been condensed to 1 hour.

For the most part, I absolutely loved my day. The 8 hours went by a lot faster than I expected and I know that it will be getting much harder but by and by it was amazing. I loved it and I can only expect and hope that it will only get better. (More than likely I will feel this way at the beginning of every every Block that I start). My semester is split into 3 blocks in which I have 5-6 weeks of instruction and a whole week of tests... As the weeks get closer to my Exam Block time I will probably get more and more stressed out.

That's all folks. You can only hope to hear my exciting time in Anatomy Lab tomorrow. I get to start to cut into the back of my cadaver. We will see how it goes.

posted by a+c | 6:39 PM



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home